Two weeks of wear...high shine...dig in your purse for your keys immediately...ah, the benefits of gel manicures! While gel may seem like a miracle product, many factors can effect its longevity - including hormones and body chemistry - but here are a few easy ways to help your manicure live up to its No-Chip name.
1. Treat your nails like jewels, not tools! This is the number one tip for a lasting manicure of any kind. Using your nails to pry, pick, poke, or pinch can easily break the seal of gel polish along the free edge of the nail and cause chips. Take as much care as possible with your nails, and find an appropriate tool to do the job!
2. Moisturize. Apply lotion to hands and nails, and oil to your cuticles daily. Lack of moisture in the skin around the nails can cause premature lifting and chipping. Solar Oil ($3, and in convenient mini bottles) is a great option and available for purchase in the salon.
3. A week in, rub rubbing 99% alcohol on nails to bring the shine back. Exposure to the elements and products such as lotion can take the shine off of a gel manicure. To get them looking like new, use a cotton ball to rub 99% rubbing alcohol (available at drug stores) onto each nail.
4. Don't pick or peel! Picking and peeling causes damage to the nail plate and can affect the staying power of future gel manicures. Have the gel professionally removed, and try not to leave gel on for longer than two weeks, as the product is designed to wear for that length of time. Wearing gel longer can make it more difficult to remove, which could in turn cause nail damage.
5. Get the best value. Buff & File's full No-Chip Manicure is a great value - at $40 it includes full cuticle care, a hydrating hand massage, free soak off removal ($10 value), and 10 days of free chip repair if needed!